(651) 636-6911

Be Aware of Hazardous Household Products

Reasons Insurance

Be Aware of Hazardous Household Products

Many households unknowingly have dangerous products in almost every room. These products contain chemicals that could be hazardous to you, your family and even your pets. If not properly stored or used, these products can cause a variety of health problems, some of which could be very serious.

Read Product Labels

Product labels can tell you how dangerous a product is. Some of the warning terminology that may appear on product labels includes:

  • “Flammable/combustible”—This means the product can easily be set on fire or ignited
  • “Explosive/reactive”—This means the product can detonate or explode when exposed to heat, shock or pressure.
  • “Corrosive/caustic”—This means the product can burn your skin and eyes.
  • “Toxic/poisonous”—This means the product is capable of causing injury or death if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through your skin.
  • “Radioactive”—This means that the product can damage cells and chromosomal material.
  • “Environmental damage”—This means that the product can contaminate rivers, lakes and drinking water, as well as cause air pollution.

Be Careful Even With the Common

Common household products that are potentially dangerous include air fresheners, batteries, bleach, detergents, cleaners and pet ointments or medications. It’s important to follow safety precautions when using all hazardous products. As such, be sure to:

  • Use proper safety equipment.
  • Work outside or in a well-ventilated area.
  • Wash your hands and clean up afterwards.
  • Store products safely away from children and pets. Only buy what you need.
  • Keep products in their original containers.

Call 911 in the case of any hazardous product emergency. Contact us with any questions or concerns.


Skip to content